Oily Skin Causes and Treatmentaqicare
Shiny, greasy, enlarged pores are some of the characteristics of oily skin.
When you have oily skin, your sebaceous glands are hyperactive thus producing excess oil on your skin. This then causes your skin to be shiny, oily and causes enlarged pores. This can also cause blackheads, pimples and acnes.
What causes oily skin?
- It is hereditary. If your parents have oily skin there is a big chance that you have it.
- The kind of food that you eat can affect the production of oil of your skin. Studies show that eating fatty meat, dairy products, salty snacks and deep fried food can trigger your sebaceous glands to produce excess oil.
- Hormone levels. During the puberty stage, teenagers tend to have oily skin because their androgen levels increases. It is also the same when women become pregnant; the fluctuation of hormones affects the oil production of the skin.
- The increase of heat and humidity can also trigger over production of oil in the skin.
- Overuse and incorrect skin care products. When you apply skin care products that is not made for your skin type this can cause oily skin. For example applying a moisturiser made for dry skin on a skin that has combination skin. This will make the affected area of the skin very oily.
- Birth control and other types of medication. Birth control pills and also hormone replacement medications can trigger overproduction of oil production.
- The reaction of our body to stress causes the hormones to fluctuate thus leading to excess oil production of the skin.
How to treat your oily skin?
- Wash your face regularly. Washing your face twice a day and using a facial cleanser made for oily skin can remove excess oil and dirt without causing irritation.
- Use a toner. Applying a toner especially made for oily skin will help tighten the pores and balance the pH level of the skin.
- Use an oil free moisturiser. Applying an oil free moisturiser will give your skin the needed nutrients to balance the natural oil levels of the skin.
- Be aware of your diet. Try to eat more food with high fiber like vegetables, food rich with omega-3 fatty acids like salmon and tuna. Also drink more fluids and natural juices. This will give your skin a fresher look.
AQI Acne Range has an excellent array of products that can help treat oily skin.